7 PARTS OF YOU
Your 7 Parts
Here’s where we find the seven parts of ourselves in scripture:
Mark 12:30 New International Version
Love the Lord your God with all your (1)heart and with all your (2)soul and with all your (3)mind and with all your (4)strength.’ (These four are the parts of you that will live on for eternity).
Ecclesiastes 12:7 Amplified Bible then the dust [out of which God made man’s (5)body] will return to the earth as it was, and the (6)spirit will return to God who gave it. (These two parts leave you at the point of death).
Galatians 5:16 New International Version
So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the (7)flesh. (This part no longer exists when you die, because it only exists when you are alive and your soul is tempted to sin by inner thoughts and by the temptations that exist in this world. Please see 1st John 2:15-17 and read this verse for yourself).
The theme verse for today is Psalm 139:23-24 (Amplified Bible) 23Search me [thoroughly], O God, and know my heart; Test me and know my anxious thoughts; 24And see if there is any wicked or hurtful way in me, And lead me in the everlasting way. Why do we need God to search us thoroughly?
Jeremiah 17:9-10 (New Living Translation) 9“The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is? 10But I, the LORD, search all hearts and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve.” Here is a description of each of the seven parts. This serves as a guide to assist you as we navigate through the sermon.
1. Your Will: The part of you that has the ability or inability to act upon or execute decisions. Your inner strength.
2. Your Mind: Your cognitive ability to use your brain to think, way matters, and come up with possible solutions.
3. Your Heart: Your emotions and how we feel about things and people. Feelings like love, happiness, sadness, loneliness, anger, jealousy, resentment, unforgiveness, fear, hatred and bitterness come from here.
4. Your Soul: This is your true inner self. It is a culmination of your Will, Mind and Heart. Selfishness and self centeredness comes from here. Wanting to be seen, heard, known, recognized, pride, and wanting to be right all of the time or better than others comes from here. Also guilt, conviction, embarrassment and shame are here. All final decisions are made here in your soul. Your soul combines logic, how you feel and whether you have the ability to act or not, and then makes a decision. This is the part of you that will determine your eternal destiny. This is the part of you that will either say yes to Jesus or no to salvation and this is the part of you that will spend eternity with God or in hell and the lake of fire.
5. Your Spirit: This is the part of us that has to do with faith. God gives us natural life at birth through our human spirit, but when we are born again then we receive spiritual new life as well. This is the part of us that connects us to God’s Spirit. If you are not a Christian, this part can be used to connect you to another religion or false belief system. This part can be used to connect you to Satan, occultism and the dark side of the spiritual realm as well. (Romans 8:16 Good News Translation God's Spirit joins himself to our spirits to declare that we are God's children).
6. Your Flesh: This is the part of you that tries to fulfill sinful lusts and desires. The sinful nature or carnal mind are here. The flesh is the constant driving force pushing you to sin and disobey the laws and the will of God. This part of you influences you to do whatever feels good to you, no matter what the consequences are. This part of you hates your spirit and hates God’s spirit and will always do the opposite of what God’s will is. (Romans 8:7 New International Version The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so).
7. Your Body: The physical part of you. The only part that uses and is affected by the five senses. It is the only part of you that is of the natural realm. All of your other parts are spiritual. It simply houses your other parts while you live here on earth.
The states of each: Weak or Strong. Right or Wrong.
Outside Influencers: The World, The Devil, The Bible, The Holy Spirit, People, Concepts, Ideas, Groups, Organizations, etc.